Llanelli Online was at the men’s National 25-Mile Time Trial Championship on Sunday (Aug 6) to see Dan Bigham (Brother NRG-WattShop) win another National title bringing his total to seven so far in 2017.
Dan (25) who hails from Stoke on Trent finished in a time of 45.40 for the R25/3h course at Rhigos in the Vale of Neath.winning by 19 seconds over Tim Cartwright (Newbury RC). Third place went to defending champion Ryan Perry (Raleigh GAC).
Bigham will now set his sights on the UCI Track World Cup.
Speaking to Llanelli Online’s cycling correspondent Terence Owens Dan said: “This was my Seventh National Title and it’s been a mental year overall. It was a tough one today. I have had a few weeks of training. The wind made it hard work. I went full blast and was up 20 seconds on most people at the turn but I really had to work at it. It is easy to keep up the speed with a tail wind. I was travelling on average at 33 mph overall. Its a nice course. I have been here a few times and I know it well. It was plain sailing today and that shows that the marshalls were doing their work well. Every second in this game is vital. You get a few roundabouts wrong and the race is over. Bynea have done a great job. It was well organised with great facilities and everything ran smoothly. They had a gazebo at the start to keep us dry.”
1. Dan Bigham (Brother NRG Wattshop) 45.40
2. Tim Cartwright (Newbury RC) 45.59
3. Ryan Perry (Raleigh GAC) 46.11
4. John Archibald (Pro Vision Cycle Clothing) 46.23
5. Kieron Davies (Drag2zero) 46.38
6. Matthew Smith (Team Bottrill) 46.48
7. Stuart Travis (Team Bottrill) 47.09
8. James Boyman (Hoops Velo) 47.20
9. John Dewey (Team Bottrill) 47.22
10. Chris Bartley (AS Test Team) 47.29
Team: Team Bottrill HSS Hire (Smith, Travis, Dewey) 2:21.19 (comp record)