Llanelli man rescued from flat fire caused by unattended cooker

ON Wednesday evening (July 1) fire crews from Llanelli and Gorseinon attended a fire at a property in the Marble Hall area of Llanelli.

The fire involved a cooker in the kitchen of the first floor flat.

Firefighters rescued a male occupant from the property and extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet, two breathing apparatus, a thermal imaging camera, and a positive pressure ventilation fan.

The fire was caused by cooking left unattended.

The Fire Service left the incident at 07:14 pm.

For More Great News Stories Click The Banner

Group Manager Karen Jones, Head of Community Safety for Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said, “This incident highlights the consequences of leaving your cooking unattended and the real danger that this can cause.

The majority of house fires attended by the Fire and Rescue Service are caused by cooking, so it is vitally important that you always pay attention when you are cooking. Don’t allow yourself to be distracted and if you do need to leave your cooking, to answer the door, for example, remove pots and pans from any heat source and turn off the heat.

Drinking alcohol will diminish your ability to concentrate and will increase the risk of fire if you do attempt to cook while under the influence. Our advice is that if you have been drinking and are hungry, order a takeaway.

A working smoke alarm will give you and your family the best opportunity to be alerted and leave the house in the dreadful event of a fire, so please make sure that you have working smoke alarms fitted in your home and test them regularly.”

error: You are in breach of copyright
%d bloggers like this: