A SERVICE was held at police headquarters in Carmarthen on Monday (Oct 26), in remembrance of Dyfed-Powys Police officers who have died in the line of duty.
The service also marked the unveiling of a memorial stone, which is dedicated to their memory.
The date was chosen as it falls during the month of the 30th anniversary that four officers were killed on duty while surveillance training, in October 1990.
It also coincides with what would have been the rescheduled Unity Tour, an event to raise money for families of police officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty. The usual event didn’t take place this year due to covid-19 restrictions, but officers and staff up and down the country participated in a virtual cycle ride instead.
The force chaplain, Reverend Tom Evans, led a dedication to the fallen officers:
· PC Thomas Gareth Davies – died 18 June 1971, aged 23.
· PC Hefin John Llewellyn – died 14 August 1971, aged 22.
· PC David Christopher Hinchliff – died 3 June 1979, aged 19.
· Sergeant William Mervyn C. Williams – died 30 July 1979, aged 36.
· DC Roger Meyrick – died 18 October 1990, aged 37.
· DC Nicholas George Tabraham – died 18 October 1990, aged 29.
· DC Leonid Evans – died 18 October 1990, aged 41.
· DC Paul John Hetherington – died 29 October 1990, aged 35.
· DC Barrie Davies – died 11 October 2005 aged 38.
For more information, visit the police roll of honour website.